Monday, February 1, 2010

It's a wrap!

I just can't believe January has come and gone already.  We started January with snow and ended it the same way, but today the sun came out and melted most of it off.  I stole a peek at my winter-sown containers today even though I really didn't expect to see anything and I didn't.  I have delphiniums I will be winter-sowing tomorrow.  Last week, on Tuesday, I started mesclun in a recycled salad container and Thursday I had sprouts already.  The sprouts are about an inch tall already.  I can't wait for fresh, homegrown salad greens.  I also cut some red twig dogwood cuttings a couple of weeks ago and stuck them in a jar of water in my kitchen.  They have little tiny roots!

My hubby has the basic structure of our chicken coop started.  I am having fun trying to decide how I want to 'decorate' the chickens' new home.  When I ask him about color schemes and the endless possibilities for decorating it he just rolls his eyes, shakes his head, and walks away.  How rude!

Here is the coop:













I am hoping to have fresh greens in a couple more weeks:













The weather cooperated last week and allowed me finally clean-up my irises.  How embarassing the mess was!  You can see a little bit of green poking through.













Much better now!













I better go now, my husband is slamming cupboard doors in the kitchen, his way of reminding me it is dinnertime.  Let the countdown to spring begin!


5 comments:

  1. I have lots of little seedling started in the window. It helps me cope until I can get out there and play in the mud! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, you're always ahead of us when it comes to getting the garden cleaned up! Good for you.
    Can't wait to meet your new little chicks when they arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could rattle the cupboard doors and lunch would magically appear:)

    Fresh, homegrown greens.....sounds delish.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that was fast, for those seeds to sprout. I have lots of cleaning up to do. We've been so cold this year, don't want to move too quickly. Don't want new growth that might freeze again.
    Our daughter and family lived in your area a couple years ago. They're now in North Dakota....she's had to learn gardening in a lot of different climates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You chicken coup design is very nice! It is like a doll house. Just watching the chickens ascend the staircase could be mezmerizing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!

Voting