Sunday, January 3, 2010

Why I am here

When I joined the blogosphere last year I spent alot of time perusing some the most wonderful garden blogs, admiring the dedication in recording through the written word and camera lens the journey known as gardening and life. It took me several months to decide to create a blog, worried my pathetic attempt to share my journey would seem like a travesty compared to others, but I forged ahead anyway. At first it was a way of letting my family in Ohio see how my garden had grown through the years I have lived in Idaho. Apparently, they weren't too impressed because none of them are followers! Maybe I was wasting my time but then one day I received a comment from Laura @GardenInDesert and she became my first follower. Over the months I have come to realize that the things I enjoy most about blogging is not what I share but it is about what you have shared with me. I look forward to the New Year sharing with old friends and making new friends.

Over the past few weeks the snow has come and gone and come and gone again. I have not been idle though. I have my order ready for baby chicks, which should arrive in March, and have been nagging the dear hubby to make a chicken coop. I decided to try my hand at winter sowing this year. During winter soltice I planted 5 milk cartons with rudbeckia, penstemons, poppies, gallardia, and datura. Yesterday, I planted 3 more cartons with clematis, agastache, and lilies. I have several more containers to plant as the winter progresses. I can't wait to see what happens in the spring! Also, I finally have a plan for the little planting area by my dining room. I wanted to install a pond but there is a cherry tree close by and I didn't want to have the job of skimming cherries out of the pond. Instead I found a copper water feature that will hang on the wall in a magazine. The cost to buy it is prohibitive but I am going to make one instead, again with the DH help. I have also decided to take a photography class. Maybe I will be the next Ansel Adams! And last but not least I have made my list of plants and seeds to order for the garden this year.

These are the five containers I planted on winter soltice - December 21. I quickly found out the best containers for winter sowing are NOT milk cartons. 2-liter bottles and plastic juice cartons work much better.


The next morning we had several inches of snow blanketing the ground.


Witchy-poo was happy to have her spot back after I was done with the winter sowing. She keeps me company while I am working in my office. That might have something to do with the fact it is a toasty 75 degrees in here...


Here is Yang the other half of Ying and Yang. Since the waterfall was turned off for the winter both Ying and Yang will climb on top of it and peer over the front. I'm sure they are wondering what happened to those big koi that were swimming in the pond this summer.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Peggy- I do love other Idaho garden blogs! Hope your new year is a wonderful one and I too look forward to all it has to offer. We have a little more snow than you do there but not enough yet for me to feel like I can curl up in a chair and plan next year's garden. I like it really snowy out to do that. lol
    Thanks for stopping by my blog so I could find yours.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im new to your blog, but love it thus far...cant wait to read more;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for doing the winter sowing, Peggy. I made a half-hearted attempt last year, and, as you can imagine, it didn't go well.

    What type of chicks did you order? From where? I bet you're soooooooo excited! We're still loving ours. I think so far Tootsie is the only one laying.

    Can't wait to see your new water feature.

    I'm sure you'll love the photography class. Lucky for me Kim actually went to school to be a photographer, long ago in Miami. We're still reaping the benefit of his parent's money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are getting a black australorp, buff orpington, and a barred rock from Dunlaps. Pat went to his old workplace and started a coop but I'm not so sure about the way he was describing it to me! I'm not asking for a mansion like yours but I don't want a tenement either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sound like great chicken breeds. Can't wait to see them. The orpington and the australorp will be so attractive, good layers, and friendly, from what I read. Nice!
    I'm sure Pat will build you a nice coop. Just make sure the raccoons can't get to them. You'll probably have them out free ranging all the time anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy, I've been having computer problems that kept me from leaving comments here. But all is well in the computer department now, so here I am.

    Witchy-poo is a wonderful name for a cat. Made me smile.

    I look forward to the progress of what all you have planted in the containers.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Thank you for the mention. I have been anticipating the corner garden, so I can't wait to see the design. The water feature that you will build sounds very intriquing. You are lucky to have a cherry tree, we can't have them here. I look forward to the flower additions, and I am curious about which clematis you selected? So much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Peggy!
    Popped over to say hi and thank you for the comment. I see lots of new blogs here so I'm anxious to pay your friends a visit. Thx, for the follow and I'm looking forward to your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!

Voting