Saturday, September 26, 2009

Where have the hummingbirds gone?


You can certainly tell that fall has arrived in my garden, even if the temperatures are still in the 80s and 90s. I like to enjoy my morning coffee at 5:00 am and watch the hummingbirds dive-bomb each other and me as the morning sun peaks over the foothills. But this week the hummingbirds are all gone. And each morning I am greeted by the most beautiful clear night sky! My first thoughts are of Van Gogh's Starry Nights and then Don McClean's tune Starry Starry Night begins playing in my head. Not a bad way to start your day!

I have started looking at my garden with an eye towards all the wonderful projects I can plan over the winter for next year - new raised vegetable garden, a greenhouse, a new water feature, an arbor, etc. I think I will wait awhile before I share any of my ideas with my husband though. He might not like the idea of a greenhouse in place of his outdoor kitchen/BBQ he was planning.

I would like to enlist the help of my blogger friends in identifying the bird in the picture. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to identifying our feathered friends but this fellow is just too beautiful not to know what he is.

Thanks Kim and Victoria, our wonderful next door neighbors, for identifying this fellow as a Western Tanager!

2 comments:

  1. Peggy, I am like you. I am planning a mini-greenhouse/potting shed, with a cat door so our cat can sleep on the sunny shelves out of the wind, but hubby wouldn't embrace the idea just yet. Timing is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peggy,
    It's possibly a Western Tanager.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!

Voting