Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Purple Cherokee Tomato


This is my first year to grow Purple Cherokee tomatoes. Most heirlooms I have tried in the past take so long to ripen I end up with fried green tomatoes instead of ripe tomatoes, but not so with these. They started ripening around the first of August and are still prolific. They are so sweet for a tomato. I made a sweet and sour tomato and onion salad that my family goobled-up in one meal. Definitely will plant a few next year.

A follower on Garden Stew suggested I try Giant Belgium tomatoes next year as well. I'm not familar with them but they are on my list for spring. If you have any information on them please let me know.

I planted a Pineapple heirloom tomato this year but I am disappointed. The plant had alot of blooms but only one tomato, which is still very green and hard. We still hopefully have another 4 or 5 weeks of decent weather so maybe it will ripen.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote something else, then deleted it because... I saw your slideshow! It is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice blog. the slideshow is great. following you now, see you around.

    http://theurbanbalcony.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! The Purple Cherokee tomato sounds delicious.
    Sweet, sweet tomatoes are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peggy!
    Nice blog - I'll follow from now on! I'm a North Dakota gardener who also loves all things green. Thanks for the tip on the Cherokee tomatoes - I'll give them a try next year too.
    Happy fall!
    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am glad to have stumbled upon your blog. I am also in Idaho, and a fellow gardener and blogger.
    I love trying new heirloom tomatoes. Some of my favorites this year are Paul Robison and Green Zebra, and Black Cherry. Last years fav was Nyagous.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments!

Voting